C-Score Privacy Notice for General Audiences
About C-Score and this notice
What data are we talking about?
What data is collected through the C-Score Platform?
C-Score is intended to be a general measure of health. You can learn more about C-Score, how it’s calculated and what it means in these FAQs.
This is the C-Score privacy notice. It describes the personal data collected from you through the C-Score mobile app and website, and how it is used. Please read it carefully.
“We” means Chelsea Digital Ventures Limited (CDV). CDV is a digital-first consumer technology business. We are the publishers of the C-Score mobile app.
CDV also operates the website www.c-score.com and we’ll refer to that website and the C-Score app as the “C-Score Platform” in this notice.
This notice applies to our use of any of your personal data which we collect about you when you use the C-Score Platform.
This notice also applies to any personal data we collect if you take part in events or other activities organised as part of the C-Score business, or otherwise interact with us in connection with C-Score.
Cookies and similar technologies
To find out more information about those technologies and how to manage your choices about them, please see our Cookie Notice on www.c-score.com and the Mobile Analytics Notice for the C-Score mobile app.
This notice deals with personal data. We may also collect anonymous/aggregated information, and may turn your personal data into anonymous/aggregated information.
The law says it’s information relating to natural persons who can be identified or who are identifiable directly from the information in question, or who can be indirectly identified from that information in combination with other information.
Information that cannot be used to identify you, either directly from that information or in combination with other information that could reasonably be obtained. We may turn some of your personal data into anonymised/aggregated information.
When you use the C-Score Platform, we will collect the following data:
Information you input
When you use the C-Score Platform, you’ll input information about you and your health.
We need this information to calculate your C-Score and help you use the C-Score Platform. More information about how we use this information is described in our FAQs.
The information you’ll provide to us includes:
- Your date of birth
- Your biological sex
- Your height and weight (to calculate your waist to height ratio). If you grant the C-Score app camera access for this, we’ll use your phone’s camera to capture this information.
- Your self-rated health (i.e. do you feel excellent, good, fair or poor)
- Your resting heart rate (we’ll need access to your camera to measure this). Your fingerprint is not collected, we just use the camera to scan it to measure your heart rate
- Information about your sleep (e.g. how many hours you sleep on average each day and how you rate the quality of your sleep)
- Information about your smoking habits (whether you’ve ever smoked, how much you smoke)
- Information about your drinking habits (whether you drink, how much you drink)
- Information about your cognitive skills (e.g. your reaction time)
- Your general location (we do not collect precise location information)
- Your email address
We sometimes need to make providing some personal data mandatory (like billing and delivery information, or certain personal data for competitions). We do our best to make sure mandatory and optional data fields are clearly marked on the C-Score Platform. Where providing some data is optional, please bear in mind that the quality of our products and services might be reduced if you don’t provide it (for example, they may be less relevant to your interests).
We may in some cases generate and retain customer notes, for instance in relation to a question you send us through customer support.
Information we collect from your use
How and on what basis do we use your personal data?
We need to tell you what we’ll do with the personal data that we get through the C-Score Platform and also what the “lawful basis” is for what we do with it:
- We’ll use your email address to send you email marketing about C-Score and related products and services. We always store your email separately from any of the health data we collect from you. We do this on the basis of your consent. You can unsubscribe at any time either by clicking unsubscribe links in our emails or by contacting email@example.com. It might take a few days for you to be unsubscribed, and please remember you may still receive non-marketing emails (like updates to this privacy notice) after you’ve unsubscribed.
- We use the health information we collect (your date of birth, biological sex, height, weight, height to waist ratio, self-rated health, resting heart rate, sleep information, smoking information, alcohol information and cognitive skills) to calculate your C-Score (learn more about how we do this in our FAQs). We also use your date of birth and your biological sex to tell you where your domain and C-Score fits in against the domain and C-Scores of other people of your age and biological sex. We do this with your explicit consent, which we capture as part of the C-score app. You can withdraw your consent at any time by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org, but this will not invalidate any processing carried out already.
- If you consent to provide us with your general location, we’ll use it to provide resources that may be specific to the country or place you first used the app. You can withdraw your consent in your phone’s settings.
Outside of the C-Score Platform, we may obtain your personal data if you contact us, or you participate in an event we run, or if you enter a competition or a promotion run by us. Generally, we’ll use it to respond to you, run the event or competition, and we may store it and link it to other personal information we hold about you. A variety of the lawful bases may apply to our use of this information, including:
- Necessary to fulfil a contract with you: e.g. to respond to a customer support request, or to run a competition.
- Our, your or a third party’s legitimate interests: This might include when we use your personal data to tailor your view of the C-Score Platform or the messages we send to you, to improve the way the C-Score Platform and our business work, to monitor use of the C-Score Platform, for market research, to operate and police our platforms (e.g. for security purposes), to investigate illegal activity such as fraud or abuse, or for customer service purposes. We sometimes rely on our legitimate interests to contact you, such as if we want to carry out market research or need to notify you about something important like a product recall.
- Your consent: When we get your consent, we’ll explain why we’re asking for it. Depending on applicable legal requirements, this can include if you’re opting in to receive marketing from us, or we’re accessing functions on your device like the camera or your location. It may also include any special data we collect such as health data.
There may also be cases where processing (e.g. retaining or sharing) your personal data is necessary to protect your or another person's health, safety or other vital interests; and/or to comply with local legal and regulatory obligations.
Sharing your personal data
We share personal data with suppliers and services providers that work for us. They use your personal data on our behalf and they are prohibited from using your personal data for any purposes other than those requested by us.
We might share your personal data if necessary to comply with a law, or a legal process or government order, to protect our, your or anybody else’s safety or to protect our business or the C-Score Platform, or to protect against things like fraud or other illegal or unauthorised activity.
If we reorganise our business, are sold or acquired then we will share your personal data with a potential buyer and/or new owner.
We’ll also share your personal data where you direct us to.
Storing and retaining your personal data
Like many companies, we use suppliers and service providers based around the world. This means that your personal data may be processed in countries outside of the UK and European Economic Area (EEA), including in countries where the local laws do not provide the same level of data protection. If we transfer Personal Information outside the UK or the EEA we will, as required by applicable law, ordinarily ensure that your privacy rights are adequately protected by appropriate safeguards (like the EU’s “standard contractual clauses”).
In the following circumstances those safeguards may not be applied: (i) disclosures to foreign authorities, (ii) where an urgent data transfer is necessary in your or another person's vital interests, or (iii) where you have expressly consented to the data transfer without these safeguards.
If you want more information about cross-border transfers, please contact us.
We try to only keep your personal data for as long as we need it. After that, we’ll either delete it or turn it into anonymised and aggregated information.
Third party links
The C-Score Platform may include links to websites operated by third parties. These linked sites have separate and independent privacy policies. We therefore have no responsibility or liability for the content or activities of these linked sites. However, we do seek to protect the integrity of our site and welcome any feedback about these linked sites (including if a specific link does not work).
We do our best to make sure you are able to have control over the use of your personal data where possible, and to make sure you can exercise your rights over your personal data. These rights include the right to access or erase your data, or to have us correct it, restrict certain processing operations, or provide you with a copy of it in a machine-readable format.
We aim to ensure that we keep the minimum amount of personal data necessary to provide you with the C-Score Platform. We keep your health data as de-identified as possible and many of our activities in providing the C-Score Platform to you do not require us to hold data which identifies you. This means that if you contact us to exercise one of our rights, we may not be in a position to identify you. If this is the case we’ll let you know in our response to your request.
To exercise your rights or ask us any questions about your personal data, please email us at email@example.com.
You can always opt out of receiving direct marketing from us, either by clicking unsubscribe links in the messages we send you or by emailing us.
You can also contact the UK Information Commissioner’s Office about your personal data.
Chelsea Digital Ventures Limited's registered office is Stamford Bridge, Fulham Road, London, United Kingdom, SW6 1HS
If you have any queries on any aspect of our Privacy Notice or wish to exercise any of your rights referred to above, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Changes to our Notice
We regularly review our notices so we’ll make changes to this notice from time to time. We will let you know about relatively significant changes by putting a sign on the C-Score Platform or by sending out an email.
We nevertheless recommend that you periodically revisit this page to remind yourself of the details of this notice, and to see if anything has changed – we’ll flag on this page the last date we made changes.
Last Changed: 19th March 2021